Saturday, June 22, 2013

California Summer Update

Since heading to California three weeks ago, I have seen some immediate success.  In my first two Players Tour events I have placed 3rd and 7th!  My game feels good and there is no question that my added strength is helping.  My swing is more controlled and I'm hitting my driver about 15 to 20 yards longer!

I have really been focusing on my putting inside 20 feet.  Every week the players at the top of the leader board are the ones making their short to mid range putts and thats where I need to get!  I thought it would be fun to share my daily practice routine with your guys.  I do this a few times a week and the other days I focus mainly on playing.

Practice Routine
Range: Focus on routine and visualization before every shot.
(Remember to not worry about distance control on the range.)
  • Warm up: Short pitch shots, ½ Tempo Full Swings = ½ Distance

    • Ladder your pitches: Each shot longer than the next.  

    • Technical: Swing changes you have been working on with your coach.  

  • Feel:   4 Shots: High Fade, High Draw, Low Draw, Low Fade

        • Have one trigger/ swing thought to hit each shot.
        • Complete drill with slight draws and fades and also more significant draws and fades.
5 Fades, 5 Draws: Never cross target line.
        • Hit shots at controlled tempo to feel club and shot shape.  
        • Fades should fly considerably shorter than your draws.
TEMPO: Different clubs – 60%, 80%, 100% - aim to different targets.
        • 60% = Lowest, 80% = Standard Shot, 100% = Highest
    • Tourney Prep: Play the course in your head picking targets on the range.

Extra focus on specific shots needed for the tourney.
Wedges: Focus on ¾ and full shots with all your wedges.
- Extra focus on hitting highest (58* full swing) and lowest (54* ¾ swing).  
Short Game: Focus on the landing area for shots around the green.
  • Bunker: Hit long, short, high spin and low spin shots with both wedges.  Even shots you wouldn’t normally hit on the course.  
  • Chipping: Rough and fairway.
  1. Hit both wedges to the same hole:  Learn your options for every shot.
  2. Same wedge: Hit from different locations, different targets every shot.  
  • Study your divots for precise contact and different shots.  
- Compete with others or yourself to make it more fun: Closest to the hole, up and downs, 10 balls different locations: how many can you hit inside 5 feet?


Putting: Visualize the ball rolling in the cup before every putt.
    • Technical: Ball position w/ 2 sticks, 3 footer w/ stick on putter toe + edge of cup
    • Feel: 30, 45, 60: Must 2 putt 3 balls from the 3 locations and then 2 putt a     final 60 footer.

        • Complete: Uphill and Downhill.
5 Balls Out 5 Balls Back: 2 Putt all 10 holes.  
Square Drill: 8 balls shaped in a square around hole.   Beat best score.  
1 Ball 18 Hole Course: Par 36

- Compete with yourself or a friend with all these drills.
This was a foggy afternoon at the Olympic Club's Cliffs Course a few days ago. Such an amazing place to practice!

I hope everything is well on the east coast!

John

No comments:

Post a Comment